- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.2lzcOnhH.dpuf Nothing but Delicious: Carrot Honey Pie

Carrot Honey Pie

I love November 1, the day that it's "okay" for me to start planning what I will eat on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Of course I've been planning it in my head for weeks, but today I start for real.
Pie is obviously a must. Pie is so good that when dinner is done, and you don't think you can eat any more food ever again in your entire life, you're like, oh okay, maybe just a small slice (of each type) of pie. Does it even matter what kind of pie? I couldn't say. I've never met a homemade pie I didn't like.

One of my new favorites is carrot honey pie. Carrots are easier, faster and cheaper to work with than either sweet potatoes or fresh pumpkin. The texture they create in a custard is light and silky; they pair stunningly with the delicate sweetness of honey.
Carrot and Honey Pie

1 pie crust  (mine came from Trader Joe's)
1 pound carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup plain yogurt or whipping cream*
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup local honey
3 large eggs
1t vanilla
2 t five spice
1/4 t kosher salt

Preheat your oven to 400. Microwave carrots for three minutes at a time, stirring after every three minutes, until very soft (mine took about 12 minutes total). Puree with cream/yogurt first, and then add all other ingredients. Bake in a 9" pie plate for 45 minutes, or until the filling is puffed and slightly golden.

* Use plain yogurt if you like less sweet desserts. The tangy flavor of the yogurt will balance the sweetness of the sugar, while the cream will add to it. Do not use fat free yogurt- your pie will crack!

8 comments:

ErinsFoodFiles said...

This sounds intriguingly delicious! Have you tried the latte with carrot in it from Bongo Java East? It's phenomenal, as I'm sure this pie is.

Anonymous said...

Made this last night and the flavor was great! I did cook mine for almost an hour though, and I think it could have even gone another 15 minutes. Thanks!

HMMessinger said...

Erin, no I haven't but I'm going there this afternoon. I'll definitely get one :)

Paddeloror, I'm glad to hear you liked it. Thank you!

Sherry said...

this sounds and looks delicious! something different than the standard thanksgiving pie and i cannot wait to introduce it to the family. what is five spice? help?!

HMMessinger said...

Five spice is a blend of star anise, cloves, cinnamon, fennel seed and white pepper. I found some for about $5 at Whole Foods. You can also buy it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Spice-Powder-Seasoning-Blend/dp/B0001M10VA/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1352819175&sr=1-3&keywords=five+spice

Of course, if you're in a pinch, pumpkin pie spice will do :)

Rebekka Seale said...

I love this tablecloth!

Rebekka Seale said...

Oh, PS...I want to try that carrot latte now. Yowza!!!

Melanie said...

Wow this sounds interesting....

Ergo-Blog

Post a Comment